Tuesday, July 6, 2010

hot hot hot

Yesterday and today have been brutally hot... and humid. I think the temp has been in the low 30's both days but with humidity it's been closer to low 40's (haha I'm using Celsius now -- so Canadian.)
Yesterday was not quite as bad as today, and my 4-miler felt great, actually. I made sure to drink at least 6 bottles of water throughout the afternoon before I went, and ended up drinking a whole bottle during the run slash pouring the remainder all over myself when I got back to my street. Also, there was a park in Westmount that I ran past with a big wading pool and fountains coming up out of the ground with like, a hundred little kids in it, that I proceeded to run straight through -- sneakers, MP3 player and all. It felt great.
Today, however, was worse. I think I drank even more water leading up to my run today, but the heat was just too much. Even when I was trying to stay running in the shady parts, it didn't help. I was planning on doing my normal weekly 4-mile speed workout today but ended up just doing a flat, straight, slow 3 miles down Sherbrooke. 
Today I was first aid training and I was learning about heat stroke and apparently yesterday in Montreal there were 300 more heat stroke cases than they had anticipated (they predicted 800 but got 1100) so I can't even imagine what it was today -- and I definitely don't want to be one of those numbers. 


One last thing.... on my 16-miler last Friday (the one where I fell) I started listening to the Harry Potter audiobook during my run instead of music -- it has seriously changed my running. It's amazing. (And hey... now I'm FINALLY going to "read" those last two books....)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the new term 'slash pouring'. That is sounding good even for people like me who are sitting at desks today! Keep drinking lots of water today, okay? ~Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, i just listened to harry potter and the half blood prince a few days ago. i also listened to i am legend. it was one of the best audiobooks ive ever heard. i definitely recommend it.

    me and vinnie just went out and bought portable air conditioners. i went for a run last night (2 miles, im getting better) and when i got back my apartment was hotter than it was outside. i was tempted to go to sleep in the shower to keep cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh and shadow divers, thats a really good one.

    ReplyDelete