So I say that this was a "minor" scare, but I was pretty freaked out when it happened...
To preface this story: On Saturday morning I woke up feeling too weak (both mentally and physically) to do my long run, so I decided to switch Saturday and Sunday's workouts, and do 5 miles at the gym on Saturday. I ended up doing part of it on the elliptical, which I haven't done yet through this whole training program, and honestly, cross-training felt kind of good.
Anyways... so on Sunday I woke up feeling bit better and decided that 12 miles was doable, so I strapped on my water bottle belt, plotted a map through the plateau, and set off. It wasn't hot out at all, so I didn't end up drinking too much throughout the run. The run itself was fine, not particularly difficult, but I've got some nasty blood blisters forming.
After my run I sat around my apartment, read, showered, watched TV, for the rest of the afternoon. After dinner I started to feel strange... the muscles in my torso really started to hurt -- like that feeling you get on Thanksgiving after eating too much and you're just stuffed. I didn't feel nauseous, just.... in pain.
So I went to bed, woke up Monday, still felt pretty bad, had breakfast, went to work. Around about 11:30 I had to go home.... I felt so bad. Pain, dizzyness, weakness, a touch of nausea... but I couldn't think of any reason why. I fell asleep for about four hours, woke up, had some gatorade (I thought it would help with the weakness 'cause I didn't feel like eating yet) and sat around some more. A few hours later I felt a very strange painful feeling in my abdomen, but realized I just had to pee. And there it hit me.... my pee was dark and thick. I freaked out. I called my dad, thinking I had some crazy kidney problem. But... after rethinking the previous 24 hours since my long run I realized how little I'd had to drink during and after that run. I looked up "dehydration" in my running handbook... and there was an anecdote written by the author about his biggest scare with dehydration: "Once, after a 20 mile run when I'd barely drank anything, I had one of the biggest scares of my running life. I felt very weak, and several hours later I went to the bathroom and my pee was purple! I freaked out at first and then remembered that after my run I'd chugged two grape sodas, and my body must've been so dehydrated that it didn't even have time to filter out the artificial coloring."
So... I can only assume that this is what happened to me with my dehydration and red gatorade.
Feeling a bit better now, had a lot of water last night, but still a bit sore and tired. Moral of this story: after running, drink 'til you pee.
No comments:
Post a Comment