Monday, July 12, 2010

Progress

So, despite all of the brutal heat and humidity last week, I still ended up totalling 28 miles and my goal was 30, so I'd say that a shortage of only 2 is pretty great, considering.

I had to do my long run on Sunday this week, and it was only 12 miles, so I didn't think about it too much ahead of time. I didn't do my normal carbo-loading with pasta the night before, or get myself particularly mentally prepared... I just sort of thought, "oh yeah, I have to run 12 miles tomorrrow." And the run was fine. I (stupidly) went at about 1:00pm, at peak heat/humidity, so that was really my only problem, but my legs and lungs and everything felt fine. I sort of had this feeling that I have tuned my body well enough to just make it do what I want, and the whole preparation ritual that I've been doing and psyching myself up isn't as necessary anymore. I mean, it's definitely going to be necessary this coming weekend when I have to run 18 miles but now, for twelve, it's just another day of running.

I suppose I am starting to understand those weirdos out there who, after running several marathons, become bored and seek new challenges like ultra-marathons and super-ultra-marathons and death races (yes these actually exist) but don't worry mom & dad -- I'm never going to get that crazy.

I am also officially half-way through my 16-week training program, meaning there are 8 weeks left until the race. I'm getting really excited, and I know that this second set of 8 weeks is going to be more difficult than the first, but I think I'm ready for it.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Em,

    That is great that you're at the halfway point in the training for this marathon. That's an accomplishment by itself! Congratulations!

    And thanks for agreeing not to 'go crazy' with something harder or longer than a marathon.

    Love,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete