So, I woke up at 6:30 this morning, and I did it. I ran 15 miles. That's further than I've ever ran before, ever in my LIFE. In fact, I can remember back to when that was how much I ran in a week!!
The run was pretty rough. I didn't feel too great even at mile 3, but there was no way I was going to turn around after dragging my butt out of bed on a Saturday morning, especially since I have been mentally preparing myself for this all week. I am sore now. Very sore. Worse than the physical toughness of the run though was the mental part. I really think it was one of the most mentally difficult things I can remember doing. I really had to talk myself through that whole 2 hours and 20 minutes, forcing myself to continue and telling myself that slowing down was O.K., just as long as I finished. I will definitely remember this run when race day comes and I will hopefully be able to see how far I've come.
One thing I decided to do though, was to run in a new, different place on every long run. I have sort of exhausted the plateau (even though I do love running there) and there's a lot of different areas of the city that I think I can use my long runs as an excuse to see.
Today, I really think that I did the Tour de Montreal and saw at least half of the city sights that they list in guidebooks for tourists. So I'm going to have to give you a list of the totally awesome things I saw on this run, that even I, after living here for three years, had not seen.
1. Early morning set up for the Atwater Market. Similar to the Jean-Talon Market that I am quite fond of, I have never actually been to the Atwater Market but it was beautiful this morning, especially the flower stands!
2. Habitat 67. This was originally built as a low-income housing complex in 1967, and was designed by a McGill architect. It is so cool looking, with sunlight coming through holes all throughout the buildings at all different angles... it kind of reminds me of something you could build out of Legos. Very cool to see up close, and I'd love to go inside one day.
3. The F1 Racetrack located on Ile Notre-Dame, where they hold the Canadian Grand Prix every year. I actually got to run on the track which was really cool. In the photo, you can also see the crew-racing basin that they built for the Olympics in '76. There were teams out practicing on the water when I ran by this morning.
4. The Biosphere is on Ile Saint-Helene, in Parc Jean-Drapeau, and it is an environmental museum with an observatory that is open to the public. I've only ever driven past this before, and never actually been inside.
5. La Ronde is also located on Ile Saint-Helene, which I was also running on this morning, but I got a good view as I was running right over it on the Jacques-Cartier Bridge (which you can also see in this photo).
So... now it is pouring rain outside, even though it was OF COURSE hot and sunny when I ran, even so early in the morning.
I really can't believe that I did it this morning. I will admit that I had to do 3 or 4 one-minute walk breaks in there due to the heat, but nonetheless I ran 15 miles and I'm truly proud of myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment