Friday, June 4, 2010

The past two days haven't been too intense or exciting in terms of running. Wednesday I went to the gym (again) and used the elliptical and did some leg weights, and was a bit sore afterwards.
Yesterday I decided to run down Sherbrooke a little ways and then back to the McGill ghetto until I'd gone three miles. For the amount of time that I lived in the ghetto, it's surprising how little I've run there. Maybe it's just because no one really likes to see people they know when they're running... you don't look great and you really don't want to stop and talk... but of course you always run into those people you haven't seen in a while when you're running.
Anyways, I did go through the ghetto yesterday and it was pretty nice for a short run. I had this feeling yesterday like my legs were longer than normal and like I was flying... as if I am significantly faster than I was on Tuesday (which I know is not actually the case) but running is like that sometimes. Sometimes you just have those days that feel amazing, other days you feel like there are 40-pound-weights strapped to your thighs.

Ok so what I really want to talk about is tomorrow. Today is my day off from running, and I intend to really take it off... not even a lot of walking. But tomorrow.... *drum roll please*.... I have to do a 13-mile training run. 13 MILES. That is the distance that I spent my entire summer training for last year. And here I am, first week of June, doing it as a "training run." Ugh. But then I was thinking about it a little bit more... and last weekend I did 11 miles, which hurt a bit afterwards but now I'm that much stronger.... 2 more miles couldn't really be any worse. I think though it's mainly the mental part of it, because my half-marathon race last year is actually the longest distance I've ever run... ever. I like to take running though and make life generalizations to compare it to. For instance, everything that you can do right now, whether it is driving a car or reading a novel, you couldn't do at some point in your life. Therefore, everything is at one point not-doable and must be conquered and learned and then it can become doable or regularly doable or even easy. So hopefully, in August or September, the 13-miles becomes not only regularly doable but easy, because I've got a lot of miles to go past that.

1 comment:

  1. Ssssoooooo...how was it? Was it too hot? I hope it went well and you're not hurting too much. How are the toe woes, by the way?

    ReplyDelete