Thursday, June 10, 2010

Not too much has gone on in the running world this week, it's supposed to be a cut-back week for me, since last week was pretty tough, ending with that 13-miler. I didn't think that it would take me very long to recover from that one, but I really feel as though it has. My runs this week have felt harder, with my legs stiffer and heavier.
On Tuesday I went for a four-miler through Westmount, which is one of (if not THE) wealthiest area of the city. The houses are incredible. Massive, with three-car garages, gorgeous landscaping, stone statues, spacious patios and intricate trimwork. The streets have names like "Argyle" and "Sunnyside" and "Belvedere." Most of them are built into the side of a very steep hill, as the area is pretty much a mountainside, and I found myself wondering if there were elevators inside their garages to take them up to their houses... I don't know how else they could get up there! It's funny how this area is only a mile away from my apartment and the McGill student area that I know so well, yet it seems like a completely different world. Quiet and residential, no dépanneurs on every corner with beer specials, no graffiti or broken glass, REAL PEOPLE with real lives and families and full-time jobs live in this tucked away world behind the hustle and bustle of university life, and it's sort of calming to know that. It makes me feel a little more connected to the world for some reason, to know that nearby, there are still neighborhoods that don't consist only of apartment buildings.
Tonight I have another four miler, but the weather this week has brought lots of rain and cool temperatures, which can sometimes be nice for running but I may make a trip over to the gym anyways.

In case anyone was interested, one of those mansions is for sale....

3 comments:

  1. i used to run there at night. there are crickets. CRICKETS!!! in downtown montreal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting the real estate link for that house--the pictures are beautiful! Hm, now I can't decide if we should buy that house or one of those Commonwealth Ave. brownstones we were admiring in Boston recently. Well maybe I better get my hands on a few million first, then I can decide...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A flat measured course is a good control for testing your training progress. But flat races are only run in Holland and North Dakota.

    ReplyDelete